The Impact of Godly Mentors
The life of Joash highlights the significance of godly mentors in our spiritual journey. While Jehoiada mentored Joash, the young king walked in obedience to God. This underscores the importance of surrounding ourselves with wise counsel and mentorship. Just as Joash thrived under the guidance of a godly mentor, we too can benefit from the insights and wisdom of those further along in their faith.
Consider the people who have acted as godly mentors in your life, helping you grow in faith. They play a pivotal role in shaping our spiritual development. Their influence can keep us on the right path, providing valuable insights and encouragement as we navigate our walk with God.
But what does it mean to have a godly mentor, and how can we find one? A godly mentor is someone who:
- Has a personal and growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- Is committed to following God’s will and His word in every area of life.
- Is willing to share their experience, knowledge, and skills with others who want to learn from them.
- Is humble, teachable, and faithful, not perfect or flawless.
- Is not necessarily older or more educated than us, but has a maturity and depth that comes from walking with God through various seasons of life.
- Is not always easy to find, but is often found in our churches, communities, families, or workplaces.
A godly mentor is not just a teacher or a friend, but a spiritual guide and companion who helps us grow closer to God and His purposes for us. They are not there to tell us what to do or think, but to help us discover God’s will and ways for ourselves. They are not there to judge us or condemn us, but to love us and pray for us. They are not there to control us or manipulate us, but to empower us and equip us.
PERSONAL REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
- Who has been a godly mentor or influence in your life, helping you grow in faith?
- How can you actively seek and develop mentorship relationships that nurture your spiritual growth?
Reach out to your mentor or someone you admire for their faith, expressing your gratitude for their influence in your life. If you don’t have a mentor, pray for guidance in finding one. Building and nurturing mentorship relationships can significantly impact your spiritual growth.
LOVE IN ACTION:
Consider becoming a mentor to someone younger in their faith journey. Share your experiences and wisdom to help them grow in their relationship with God. By investing in others, you become a conduit of God’s grace and guidance.
Lord, I am grateful for the godly mentors You’ve placed in my life. Help me seek wisdom from those who can guide me closer to You. May I also be a source of guidance and encouragement to others. Amen.